For the Shelby Mustang model years 2007-2014 this is how to read the VIN numbers of legitimate Shelby’s.
1ZV B P8J S O A 5 000000
- 1ZB is the Auto Alliance International, USA Passenger Car
- B is Manual Belts with Driver and Passenger Frontal Air Bags and Side Inflatable Restraint
- P8J is Shelby GT500 Coupe, ( P8K ) is a convertible
- S is a 5.4L SC DOHC V-8
- 0 is check digit
- A is 2010 Model Year
- 5 is Auto Alliance International Assembly Plant
- 000000 is the sequence code
Shelby Mustang GT500s received their own designators in the Vin in places 5-7.
For 2007-2009 T88 is for coupes and T89 for convertibles. And for a real giveaway for a fake GT500 vs. a real GT500 is that the GT500s were the only mustangs built with Ford’s supercharged DOHC 5.4L and 5.8L engines. Look for the letter directly after the designation which should be S for 5.4L or Z for 5.8L.
For Ford’s free VIN decoder go to Fleet.Ford.com/Maintenance/Vin-Decoder
For full history on any Ford car with basic and build sheets go to ShopFordGear.com